Today, multitudes of online, television, and print ads show the benefits and whitening powers of over the counter whitening products. From trays to strips to toothpastes offerings to whiten teeth abound and promise to brighten your smile and improve your appearance. Is there really any truth to the claims that these products will whiten your teeth? Many experts will tell you that there isn’t a whole lot of evidence to convince them that these products are successful at whitening teeth. Whitening toothpastes don’t stay on the surface of teeth long enough to be beneficial because they don’t stay on teeth longer than a few minutes which is hardly enough time to even begin the whitening process. The whitestrips on the other hand are better than the toothpastes but extended use could have potentially damaging effects on the surface of your teeth. In all honesty the most effective and best whitening products still come from your dentist.
Why whiteners aren’t your best choice
- Whitestrips and whitening pastes have to be used over an extended period of time and even multiple times to see any real results.
- Prolonged use of products that contain peroxide like whitening toothpastes and strips can have harmful side effects on the health of your gums. Peroxide can create gum sensitivity and pain and in some cases excessive use of these whiteners have caused mouth and throat ulcers.
- Having to continue use of these whitening products to see any results can cost more in the long run than having your teeth whitened by your dentist.
The best in office treatments
- Whitening teeth at the dentist is as simple as one visit to have a tray made custom fit for your teeth. Once the trays are made you can complete the treatment at home with special bleaching cream from the dentist.
- The process of bonding allows you to have a porcelain layer applied to the surface of your teeth in a whitening shade. A total smile overhaul can be accomplished through the application of porcelain veneers. Your natural teeth will be prepared by your dentist to allow veneers to be applied permanently to your teeth. Veneers do more than whiten teeth they cover any other damage or imperfections that have made your smile something to hide.
A visit to Cedar Park Premier Dentistry can help you explore the options available to whiten your teeth or even create a new more attractive smile. Cedar Park’s cosmetic dentistry options include not only whitening but also smile makeovers, bonding, and porcelain veneers. Our smile makeovers are customized and tailored to meet your needs and give you the beautiful smile you’ve always wanted.