How would you like to start the New Year with a makeover? We’re not talking about a new outfit or a different haircut. We’re talking about something much more important than that – your smile! Many dentists now offer what they call a “smile makeover,” and it can make a world of difference in the appearance of your smile and how you feel about yourself overall.
Smile makeovers are plans that are custom-made for each individual and usually consist of a combination of cosmetic and restorative dental procedures, all designed to improve your oral health and leave you with a beautiful smile! A smile makeover can resolve just about any dental problem you can think of, including:
- Stained teeth that can’t be whitened with standard whitening products — This often occurs when the enamel layer of the teeth has been damaged and the yellowish dentin below is exposed. Dental veneers and dental bonding are both good ways of whitening what would otherwise be a stained smile.
- A “gummy smile” – This is the term used to describe people whose gum line comes too far down on the surface of the front teeth. Gum contouring procedures (now typically performed with lasers) can resolve this issue quickly, with very little recovery time needed thanks to laser technology.
- Cracked, chipped or broken teeth – These issues can be resolved by a variety of either restorative and/or cosmetic procedures. If a tooth is badly cracked, a new filling or crown may be needed. But for small chips and cracks, cosmetic procedures like bonding or porcelain veneers may be a better choice.
- Teeth with wide gaps in between – If the gaps between teeth are severe, braces or aligner trays may be the best way to resolve the issue. But smaller gaps between individual teeth that are otherwise straight and not misaligned can be filled in with a dental bonding procedure, for example.
- Missing teeth – Whether you’re missing a single tooth, a few teeth or more than that, there are a variety of procedures designed for replacing teeth. Most of us know a little something about complete and partial sets of dentures and dental bridges. But modern technology provides another option in the form of dental implants.
If you want to start the New Year feeling good about yourself, there’s no better place to start than with improving your smile! For more information about smile makeovers and what may be involved in a customized plan for you, call your dentist today. Your new smile may be just a phone call away!