For most patients, porcelain veneers have the potential to last a very long time. Although some studies and dentists cite 10 years as being a reasonable lifetime for a veneer, in fact some patients have had porcelain veneers that last a couple decades or longer. The reasons for replacing veneers are:
- Eventual yellowing or discoloration
- Breaks, cracks or chips
- Bonding failure
If none of these events occur, then you will not have to replace the veneers. But just about every patient has to replace one or more veneers at some point because of one of the reasons listed above.
Factors influencing the longevity of your veneers include:
- The habit of teeth grinding and jaw clenching
- Risk of mouth injury, such as may be associated with playing contact sports
- Bonding materials used to place the veneers
- The quality of the ceramic material used to make the veneer
You can discuss these factors and ways to manage them during your consultation with our experienced dentist Dr. Dale Williams.
If you live in or around Pflugerville, Cedar Park or Round Rock and want to learn more about the longevity of porcelain veneers, please contact Cedar Park Premier Dentistry to schedule a consultation with experienced dentist Dr. Dale Williams. Our porcelain veneer consultations are complimentary.